Thank you for volunteering to serve as a High School Mentor for Girls on the Run! Our Girls on the Run Greater Cincinnati mission is to empower girls for a lifetime of healthy living, and we are grateful that you have chosen to be involved in this amazing endeavor.
In assisting your fellow coaches, you will have the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of the girls on your team, while growing your own confidence, leadership abilities, and joy!
Being a Mentor:
- You are a role model
- You are a cheerleader
- You are a goal-getter
- You are developing new skills
- You are POSITIVE
- You are APPROACHABLE
- You are AUTHENTIC: you know yourself, you accept yourself, and you stand up for your awesome and unique attributes!
Preparing for Practice:
- Be on time to each session
- Ready your body to participate: dress appropriately, have a snack beforehand, bring a water-bottle
- Ready your mind to participate: good attitude + open heart
- Check in with your head coach for an assignment(s) for the day
- Check in with the team: greet the girls and make them feel welcome
Practicing the Possibilities:
- Setting up games and activities
- Leading stretches and skipping-walking-running with participants
- Promote team-building by encouraging participants to make new friends and to reach out to those in need
- Model perseverance and go the extra mile (lap); show the girls that going just a little longer or trying just a little harder can make a big difference
- Be willing to share: your ideas, passions, goals, thoughts, and jokes
- Employ your sense of humor--laugh often, have fun, be your own zany + unique + sometimes funny self
At regular intervals, check in with your head coach to discuss how you are doing and what additional assistance you require. Please feel welcome to contribute your thoughts and observation on the team dynamic and individual participants progress. Your fellow coaches value your feedback. You are a vital part of the team.
Thank you for embracing this challenging and rewarding experience with Girls on the Run!